Thursday, September 2, 2010
Can't get to our gmail from this computer so we'll catch up on emails as soon as we can. We are in Salzburg now and had a lovely day exploring the city and some small villages and lakes in the country. I was in somewhat of a panic mode since I finished all the books that I brought with me. I thought that I had enough to last the whole trip, but I´ve blown thru them and was getting desperate. We found a bookstore here in Salzburg which fortunately had a large selection of paperbacks in English. When I went up to the counter the clerk said "Gruss Gott", so I said it back to her. At that point she burst into a flood of German and I stood there with a deer in the headlights look. She evidently understood because she looked at me and promptly switched to English! We have been tickled at the number of times that we have asked clerks if they speak English and they always answer, "of course!" Like doesn't everybody? By the way, I forgot to mention how much we enjoyed the autobahn. We had it up to 115 many times, but couldn't maintain that speed due to traffic and road work so the rest of the time we had to keep it down to about 90.
No comments:
Post a Comment