Friday, October 26, 2018

Welcome to Rio Sucker!

Friday, July 15, 2011

Ok, so I was warned that bicyclists swoop down upon you and snatch things right from your hand. Warned, but maybe not believing! We had no trouble on the flight (10 hours, but who is counting), had a driver waiting for us with our name on a sign, and safely made it to the apartment which is right on Copacabana beach. The driver didn't speak English, but we were prepared. We had printed up a note for him on Google translate, and succeeded in making our plans for pick up, sightseeing, and the trip back to the airport next week. We even successfully got ourselves fed at lunch. But after a brief nap, we ventured out to the beach. And that is where I got hit. A bicyclist came swooping at me, stuck out his hand and went for my throat. He tore my shirt open and before I could even react, was long gone down the boardwalk. It took me a minute to realize that my gold necklace was gone. This necklace isn't really all that valuable. It is just the one with the pendant filled with gold that I panned in Fairbanks. On the whole I'm glad that it wasn't my purse! So the warnings are absolutely true and I just put the rest of my costume jewelry and my credit cards in the apartment safe. Now we are waiting for Jason to get here and we will see what is on tonight's agenda. 

No comments:

Post a Comment